?

Log in

No account? Create an account
"Like a graveyard...
... people dig me"
Hey, why haven't you been posting? 
25th-Mar-2008 02:03 pm
PCG Barcode
Time Budget (approx.)

Sleeping: 49 hrs/wk (generous)
Commuting: 17.5 hrs/wk (conservative)
Working: 48 hrs/wk
Lunch break @ work: 6 hrs/wk
TKD: 6 hrs/wk
School: 5 hrs/wk
Total accounted hours used per week: 131.5

For reference, there are 168 hours in a week. Therefore, I have 36.5 unaccounted hours—a little over 5 per day (although most of those hours are on Saturday and Sunday, where my only time constraints are TKD and work, respectively [and, of course commuting])—perhaps shoujo_mallet has something when she worries about my work/life balance.
Comments 
25th-Mar-2008 08:24 pm (UTC)
Man, I thought my 90 hour week was bad. You should consider scaling back a bit.
25th-Mar-2008 08:34 pm (UTC)
At this point, the only things I can give on are sleep or TKD. Giving up either would be very bad for my mental/emotional/physical well-being. I've committed to school till the end of the semester (May), at which point I'll be 70% done with my Masters. Work will be 48 hours for the duration. Lunch breaks are required at work. Commuting is required for work and TKD.

Edited at 2008-03-25 08:35 pm (UTC)
25th-Mar-2008 08:37 pm (UTC)
Are you going to change jobs or get immediate upward mobility once you finish your masters? Being 70% done doesn't obligate you to finishing the other 30% right away.
25th-Mar-2008 08:43 pm (UTC)
I will not be getting a raise or a promotion for finishing my Masters (though they may happen coincidentally). I want to complete my Masters while my income is still low enough that the tution reimbursement tax implications will only fuck me thoroughly, instead of nuclear clusterfuck me.
25th-Mar-2008 08:46 pm (UTC)
You know that I worry, and I'm not sure that whatever benefits you're getting from TKD aren't being negated by your overall stress level.

And I know that you sign yourself up for a lot, and feel required to do a lot, but your mental health is at stake! :)
25th-Mar-2008 08:52 pm (UTC)
Having been sick recently, and missing TKD thanks to travelling, and I get antsy, and, I mean this literally, punchy (as in, I start doing forms/moves) when I miss too much class.

And exercise is vital. Without TKD, all I get is about 1.25 mi of walking done per work day.
25th-Mar-2008 08:54 pm (UTC)
I think my point was more that you can get rid of something *other* than TKD. I know how important it is to you ;)

(and that perhaps finishing your masters can wait until you have more time)

Or maybe you can not work 50 hour weeks?
25th-Mar-2008 09:01 pm (UTC)
Unfortunately, non-48 hour weeks are not acceptable at this time thanks to upcoming deadlines. In addition, I may be hitting 56 hour weeks later in the year.

In my experience I've found that anything I put off until "I have time" gets dropped permanently. I run solely on momentum as I have a lot of mental inertia.

I appreciate your concern and am taking your ideas to heart, despite my quick knockdowns. For instance, I've not yet signed up for the summer sessions. In those classes, it's 5 hrs/week/class for seven weeks, instead of the usual 14. This allows for two summer sessions per summer. I did it last summer, and it was manageable, I was even able to take two one week vacations (one per class) and not fall too far behind.

GAH! Run to train time!
17th-Aug-2008 10:20 pm (UTC) - Hello
Anonymous
I'm new here, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
This page was loaded Nov 18th 2017, 4:05 pm GMT.